On March 10, 2022, B.C. is responding to the crucial need for more healthcare workers and early childhood educators (ECEs) by implementing changes to the BC Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) Skills Immigration stream to prioritize these occupations and increase support for the care economy.
Key changes, effective March 10, 2022, include:
- Scoring system change: the additional 10 points for high demand occupations have been eliminated. The full score has been reduced from 200 to 190 points.
- New occupations: Healthcare assistants and dental assistants have been added to the Entry Level and Semi-Skilled category as eligible occupations.
- Periodic general draws will be conducted for other skilled and semi-skilled workers who meet program criteria.
- Invitations to apply: Invitations may be targeted to support B.C. government priorities.
- Targeted invitations to apply will give priority access to select occupations in in-demand health occupations as well as early childhood educators.
- Continue conduct targeted tech-only draws for in demand tech occupations
- The Health Care Professional category has been replaced with the Health Authority category and is open to all occupations employed by a health authority.
- An overview of Strategic Priorities & Initiatives has been added to the website. Added supporting BC’s Care Economy. There are no changes to BC PNP Tech.
- Workers in management occupations (grouped under Skill Type 0 in the NOC) only register/apply under Skilled Worker categories
- management occupations are not eligible under the International Graduates categories. International graduates can only apply for NOC A, B positions to apply for BCPNP.
- Skilled Immigration category: No two years of directly related experience required
- The requirement is replaced with two years of skilled experience.
- it does not affect applicants with directly related work experience, who can still receive up to 25 additional points.
- Employer requirements are updated with new or clarified conditions.
- Accept TCF French exam results.
- The third-party recruiter cannot also act as the immigration representative for applicants, or for supporting employer.
- The minimum income standard is updated to 2019 LICO.
For full details about these and other changes, a new version of the BC PNP Skills Immigration Program Guide is now available.