but you don’t have 24 months of experience yet

About the process

If you have some qualifying work experience, but less than 24 months, you can apply for the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot, as long as you meet the other eligibility requirements.


  1. You apply to either the HCCPP or the HSWP, depending on occupation you plan to work in.
  2. You submit a work permit application Together with your permanent residence application.
  3. If you meet the requirements, you get a work permit to work in Canada temporarily.
  4. The work permit you get is an occupation-restricted open work permit and lets you work as a caregiver for any employer.
  5. Get at least 24 months of work experience to qualify for PR.
  6. You send CIC proof of your work experience once you have enough.
  7. CIC make a final decision on your application for PR.


Your family members are also eligible to come with you to Canada. You can include their work or study permit applications with your application.



Genuine and valid job offer


The job must be in the NOC job that matched the pilot you apply for:


Ability to do the work

CIC use any past experience or training you have to decide if you’re able to do the work described in the NOC job description (lead statement).


Language levels

You need to take a language test to prove you meet the minimum language skills.

The minimum language skills is CLB 5 in English or NCLC 5 in French for all 4 language skills (writing, reading, listening, speaking).



You must have a completed post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year in Canada. If you don’t have a Canadian education credential, you need to get your foreign education credential assessed to show that it’s equal to a completed Canadian post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year.


Are admissible to Canada


Plan to live outside the province of Quebec as a permanent resident